Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

2 feet of snow - 80 degrees on Sat./Sun.




Ben is accusing me of not posting anything yet but he just showed me how to do it. Yes, from the news you probably heard that we got 2 feet of snow yesterday! It's the really heavy, sticky, wet stuff too so it was not rainbows and butterflies for me to shovel today during naptime. Ben never made it home last night but stayed at his friend Andy's and then right back to work this morning. The roads were cleared off pretty well, but wouldn't you know that a 12x12x10 feet boulder (weighing over 50 tons!) fell onto highway 285, which is Ben's way home now. The best part was that they showed footage on the news last night of them using dynamite to blast the boulder into sizable pieces that they could move with big equipment. This sounds like a good way for one of you science teachers to entice students into a line of work that involves blowing things up!! Still, they did not reopen the highway until 2 or 3 in the morning. We also had a school bus stuck near the end of our driveway for about 5 hours yesterday because they didn't call off school until later (too many snowdays = endanger lives, I guess - good one Jefferson County); the driver came inside to talk and stay warm by the fireplace - she was kind of ticked :) Today's pictures are spring-white wonderland over here, but only until Sat. when it will be nearly 80 degrees - how crazy is that? And here's your lesson on the dreaded semicolon, which isn't so hard to understand: use them to link 2 independent clauses (when groups of words make a complete thought); the other rule is to use them in a series (when listing things), especially when you've already used commas in there. There, now you all can call me a NERD for teaching you grammar in this blog. Over and out!

5 comments:

Sportel Central said...

Ashley! Great photos. Beautiful scenery! And it was a surprise to me because I never had the tv on yesterday. Unbelieveable snow storm. Wish I had seen the footage of the rock getting blown up. Glad the snow will disappear Sat.
As for the semicolon; it will always be a mystery to me! ;-)
MOM

Sportel Central said...

PS... It wouldn't be a "new home" experience for you without a snowstorm. I thought you were going to miss out this time.

Reuben said...

That is crazy. When we got April snow I just refused to shovel, but you can't get around two feet. Dynamit is cool too. I guess rocks do actually fall. At least there was a sign warning people to watch out.

You are a nerd, but that does clarify the semicolon usage up. I just can't figure out if mom was being silly with her misuse. "As for the semicolon" is definately not an independent clause. If that was on purpose, then very funny. If it was on accident, then it is ironic.... I think.

Sam said...

Maybe Reuben and I can add some lessons on TNT or about how the rock that fell on the road was formed. I could even go into the energy that was used/given off in different forms during the rock's fall. But I will just refrain from that and stick to things pertinent to this blog such as learning how to use grammar appropriately so that when people read our blog we won't look dumb. I still find myself bragging about your view. CO weather is definitely crazier than MI weather so I guess we have to stop complaining. By the way, great first post.

Debra said...

The semicolon thing was intended to be a joke, but I am semicolon impaired.