Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

speed of sound

Upon request from Dad after a conversation about the exciting music channel on the new TV, I would like to share my knowledge of the great American creation that is Pandora.com. Type in band or song and using the "music genome" it creates a radio station of similar music. Currently my favorite stations include Gabe Dixon Band, Joshua Radin, Dave Barnes, and Denison Witmer (whose show I was able to make last night. Best 1 man with a guitar show I've ever attended. Check out happybirthdaydenison.com for some free acoustic stuff.) Most of those you need to make some tea and sit by the fireplace to get the full affect.

This weekend was also spent surrounded by music at SpringHill's 1st annual Music Festival. Historic, I know! However, most of it was spent running around on and offstage camera in hand. Once I have some of the photos I'll have to post a few. Ben, you will be glad to hear, out of the 25 bands I heard, 4 of them covered a U2 song. The only closely covered competitor would have been worship songs, which don't count. AND 3 out of the 4 were on the main stage, and 2 out of those 3 were in the encore. The one that wasn't on the main stage was my summer boss who said this before playing the song "for our last song we'll end with a little something by the greatest band of all time..." Needless to say, it was great.

On a completely unrelated topic, I heard dinner at my apartment was discussed while I was gone, but I am all for it. Any Sunday work better than another for anyone?

6 comments:

Sportel Central said...

I didn't have to look up this song title from "Cold play". My thanks go to Ben who introduced me to their music last December. For Sunday dinner, Deb is gone on Oct. 7 and we are both gone on Oct. 28 nd Nov. 4. Thanks for the website information!

Prime

Reuben said...

Word. Pandora is the bomb. So is Denison Witmer.

Sundays... I think we are available most sundays. pick one and we'll pencil you in or tell you it doesn't work.

Ben said...

Well done, dad.

I have never heard of Pandora's
Box or Denison Winter. Is this more of that wierd music that Reuben listens to on public radio, or is this good stuff?
Mattie, I have been meaning to ask you, I have one song by Sanctus Real on my Ipod and I really like it. Is the entire album worth the purchase?
It sounds like you had some bands at this festival with excellent taste in music!
We can do dinner at Mattie's on November 18.

Mattie said...

Ben, I really think you would enjoy Pandora, and Denison may not be your typical genre, but isn't that weird, just very minimalist. I bet he will grow on you.
Let me know what Sanctus Real song it is and I will review the album and let you know.
I am all about dinner on the 18th if you really wanted to...

Sam said...

Well, Kate and I will be around the 18th too. We can take a tour of the new sportel mansions. Kate and I have 8 seats, and a toilet, so we can fit everybody!

Reuben said...

I call the Jon at Sam and Katie's. I love the contours of a toilet seat, It's like it was made for butts.

Ben, Pandora is for all music not just good indie music. That is there too though. And how did you know I listen to NPR? Unfortunately they play little music. For my weird "eclectic mix of folk, blues, jazz, rock and world beat all in place," I listen to 88.1 WYCE community radio.